Saturday, September 19, 2009

Focus on Science


Last Friday was the White Coat Ceremony for Wonderman's class at Ross University Medical School. It was like a sort of graduation, but at the beginning of the process.

Waiting for the ceremony to begin.

There were lots of official people and speakers and stuff, then the whole class had the chance to have a professor, all of whom are doctors themselves, help them on with a white coat. I went because it seemed the thing to do, but I didn't think too much about it. I snuck in and sat at the very back with some other spouses (a term that is used SO MUCH here and I find it strange, even though I am, technically a spouse. I've just never felt so defined by a simple relationship; however, that is all I am here. Sigh.) even though Wonderman was told there wouldn't be room. I just went in to see and simply stayed. I was so glad I did.


Like a graduation, there was a keynote speaker who said nice things, but was still long and boring. A necessary evil, I suppose. The great part was the change that occurred in me as I listened and thought about what all this symbolized. Wonderman is going to be a doctor. The whole time I've known him, there has been great focus on getting him to medical school. Not an issue anymore, he's here. Now I need to move my focus ahead a few years and visualize him as a doctor. When they put him in his official lab coat I could actually see it. It was a good moment for me.


I was just like a proud parent, down there crowding in where I shouldn't have been, taking pictures and getting a little veclemt (sp? talk amongst yourselves? anyone?). Sigh. I never wanted to be a doctor's wife, but now I'm all proud and so excited for him to be living the dream. Way to be, Wonderman.
PS - The pink umbrella is mine. He's being a gentleman, not a pansy.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

i LOVE the last comment.. the gentleman not a pansy thing... paul and i both laughed when we read it. :)

Andrea, the little collector said...

Glad you clarified about the umbrella. Whew.

Also glad that you realized (and clarified) that at the end of medical school, he will in fact be a doctor. Double whew.

Love you both!

p.s. White coat ceremonies are kinda cool! Went to one myself to support my friend in SC the summer I met Ross.

The Fredericks said...

hi! look I found your blog- a feat when you name it things like Let's play it by ear- :) it's cute- well not cute- that's the wrong word- it is fun- still not a great word- but better :)