Sunday, May 30, 2010

Number One Beach


In the not-too-distant past, I had my first visit to Number One Beach.  Let's just say, it earns it's title.


It is this great expanse of white sand, which really you don't see that often in Dominica.  Our beaches are usually small, rocky expanses of black sand.  Off to one side, there is a calm little river, feeding into the ocean, so there is placid fresh water to play in if the waves of the Atlantic get a little too rough.  This makes it perfect for little people, but since I didn't bring one with me, I just enjoyed it for myself.


Since most of my views of big water are Caribbean in nature, I really enjoyed getting a glimpse, and a taste, of the Atlantic.  The waves are a little more boisterous, but gorgeous and so fun to play in.



The great mountains in the background also added to the overall effect:




Since I went with a bunch of other people's children I got the joy of seeing tiny footprints in the sand and thinking they were absolutely adorable.



For some reason, I also got to enjoy my own legs sparkling as though I were a Disney sea princess or something. 



The swirling water set off my pedicure quite nicely, I thought.




I did get one of my worst island sunburns yet at this beach, but I mostly didn't mind.



It was a beautiful day.


The only negative of the entire trip was when one of my friends (who we all knew was pregnant) puked on the drive home (traveling here can be a bit nauseating in general, more so if you have any pre-existing condition that lends itself to queasiness).  At that point, I had some strong suspicions of my own condition, but hadn't taken any tests.  I knew it would be in the next couple of days, though.  As we all commiserated and did what we could to comfort our friend, another girl said, "Well, that's great birth control for while we're on the island."  I just sighed a little and wondered what to hope for. 

Conclusion:  Some things are worth the risk.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

you ARE a disney sea princess. :)

Amy and Clark said...

Gorgeous!