Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Coal Pot Factory




Unlike it's name would indicate, this is NOT where coal pots are made. In fact, in my visit there, I saw nothing that was made anywhere near a coal pot. There was not a coal pot in sight, just a bunch of fancy soaps and oils. I guess it's a sort of a shout-out to the historical use of coal pots, since that was how things were done here, back in the day. They're keepin' it real and stuff. Meh. Either way, I loved this place.

I generally enjoy Dominica and am happy here. I think I am more content with where we live than Wonderman is, sometimes. I like Dominica SOOOO MUCH more than Arizona. Still, sometimes it's easy to feel oppressed by all that is unfamiliar and strange (and there is plenty of that), which is what made this visit so amazing.

As I walked across the lawn to enter the Coal Pot Factory, a scent so familiar and so comforting and so delicious wafted out toward me. It smelled like Dave's Health and Food. Now, maybe you don't know this store, and if you're not my mom you probably won't, but it is a store that I have spent some quality time in. Really, it smelled like all hippie stores that sell you all kinds of natural stuff at high prices. It was delicious. And they sold me a lot of natural stuff (soaps and magical oils, all from things native to Dominica, which made it even cooler) at high (not super high, really only medium) prices. Sigh (of pure content). It was good to feel completely at home, if only for a short while.

1 comment:

F Montierth said...

Yes I remember you were very partial to smells of 'home'! ;0) So Shannon and I miss you at bookclub (I need another devil's advocate to help me out!) So aside from the lack of bookclub and me (hee, hee, hee) why do you love Dominica so much?