Monday, December 14, 2009

Exotic Fruits

This is what I had the other day for breakfast:


It was delicious. And it made me feel like I was living on a Caribbean island. I guess that counts as being very grounding, right, since I do, in fact live on a Caribbean island? The coolest part is, I gathered the starfruit and mango myself. The coconut was an entirely different challenge which led me to the conclusion that my life will simply be easier if I accept my own weaknesses and pay a man with a machete to help me access fresh coconut.

Back to the starfruit (Um how cool is it that there is a fruit that naturally grows in the shape of a star? I don't know that I would've ever believed it if I hadn't seen it and eaten it repeatedly. Not sure why the eating increases the believing, it just does.). I had tried it once before and found it tart to the point of being inedible. I had similar negative experiences with a few other of the native fruits here. I felt so sad, thinking that I was here in this incredible place, with no desire to take advantage of the deliciousness. Then Sharleen showed me where the starfruit tree was on campus and how to judge its ripeness. And then she showed me where the mango tree was on campus and how the ripe ones just drop off the tree and you can find them on the ground. I love mango season.

Conclusion: This place is beautiful. I think I could live here.

5 comments:

Jessie said...

where did you get your mango and starfruit? looks like a yummy breakfast.

Amy and Clark said...

I'm green with envy. How long are you going to live there? I need some time to save up so I can come visit you. :)

Andrea, the little collector said...

Whew! I am so glad you could live there! Otherwise that would make things a bit difficult over the next year.

w.v. immating: engaging in courting rituals using apple personal electronics (e.g. sharing ipod ear buds, sharing itunes playlists of love songs, posting pod-casts declaring undying devotion, etc.)

F Montierth said...

I have yet to eat a good star fruit but have paid many a time for one in the hopes of it tasting sweet. Meanwhile you get to pick it off campus ... how cool is that?!

The Fredericks said...

yay! love fun fruit posts- GORGEOUS!